Re: [O] Custom title page in org-mode

From: John Hendy
Subject: Re: [O] Custom title page in org-mode
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2011 16:23:20 -0600

On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 4:15 PM, Nick Dokos <address@hidden> wrote:
Steve Prud'Homme <address@hidden> wrote:

> Ok so i use emacs for school work.
> I was trying to make a custom title page because, the default latex
> custom page do not respect my teacher standard
>
> So my org-file look like that :

[...]

If I were you, what I would do is make my own LaTeX class. Start from
the one closest to the desired result (probably article), incorporate
whatever changes you want from report.cls (in particular, the page
breaks you want), make whatever changes you want to the \title, \author
etc.  macros, save the result as myarticle.cls in the same directory as
your org file, and add an entry for it to org-export-latex-classes. Then
add a

#+LaTeX_CLASS: myarticle

[...]

That's all that's needed to produce separate title and TOC pages and
keep the rest of the article class intact. If you don't like the
titlepage format, you can modify it to your heart's content: you will
need to figure out the LaTeX part to do that, but that's not as
difficult as you might think it is at first sight - and I guarantee that
you will have an easier time this way than fighting the org latex
exporter, a fight that you will probably lose :-) IMO, of course.

I just did this and took a different method. I simply added:

---
#+text: \input{./title.tex}
---

to the beginning of my document. Then I created a separate .tex file with the title. If something is recurring, maybe it's worth the separate article class file. If not, I think it *might* be simpler to just define a custom title page and do as above. I think I just followed this: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/LaTeX/Title_Creation#Custom_Title_Pages

Up to you! I can't guarantee this is right; I'm on a work computer and did this on my home one.

John

Nick

Footnotes:

[fn:1] Bastien is right that redefining \baselinestretch is better than
mucking around with the \baselineskip as I suggested (see
e.g. http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=linespace )

It's probably even better to do it like this however:

#+LaTeX_HEADER: \usepackage{setspace}\doublespacing

or

#+LaTeX_HEADER: \usepackage{setspace}\onehalfspacing

or if you don't like the built-in factors, choose your own:

#+LaTeX_HEADER: \usepackage{setspace}\setstretch{1.3}

BTW, I think the factors are logarithmic: doublespacing is about 1.66
and onehalfspacing is 1.25 or so (depending on the font size).