Re: [O] DAG structure / hard links / shared subtrees

From: Jan Kybic
Subject: Re: [O] DAG structure / hard links / shared subtrees
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2011 22:11:25 +0100

>> I have a feature request. The structure of the org file is a tree.
>> I wondered if it could be made a directed acyclic graph (DAG) instead.

Thanks for the reaction.

>or simply refile the notes?  I always go through the notes I have taken
>at a meeting after the meeting, in my case to define tasks etc.  You
>could refile all the notes into the proper places in the hierarchy at
>this point.  org has very nice refile support.

Yes, I am using a combination of refiling, tags, links and searches, and
it works. However, it looks fragile and ad hoc. As far as I see it, some things
just naturally can be classified using several hierarchies, like
something that concerns project A, was first discussed at meeting B and should
be consulted with person C. Where should I put it? I would like to be
able to find it in all three places. Moreover, I would like to prepare a
meeting with person C, make notes on the subject while we talk and then
have the notes available also when browsing the hierarchy of project A.
I have to choose one of the three trees and use tags or whatever
other means to make it visible in the other two trees. If I forget to
tag it, it is lost, very difficult to find again.

>> c) I can create the meeting agenda dynamically, by assigning tags to
>>    projects and creating a sparse tree, e.g. from the Agenda
>>    buffer. However, this requires me to mark every issue to be discussed
>>    with a meeting-specific tag. I do not have much control over the order
>>    in which the issues appear. I cannot structure them. The generation
>>    takes time. And it is not straightforward to add new items to the
>>    meeting.
>
>I am not sure how the hard links mechanism you suggest above would help
>in this case?  Preparing an agenda can be difficult.  What you could do
>is have special TODO labels for issues that need to be discussed at the
>next meeting?

Even with such TODO labels, how do I sort them into the order I want?
With links, it is easy, I just link all the issues I want to discuss to
the meeting subtree, in the order I want.

Thanks for your help.

Jan

Jan Kybic <address@hidden>               tel. +420 2 2435 5721 or 5877
http://cmp.felk.cvut.cz/~kybic                              ICQ 200569450