Re: [O] Org-drill doesn't work...

From: Joost Kremers
Subject: Re: [O] Org-drill doesn't work...
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2012 23:42:57 +0100

On Fri, Jan 06, 2012 at 09:27:53PM +0100, Milan Zamazal wrote:
> It may happen if there is some problem with the contents of the entries
> ("unrecognized" items are silently skipped).  I was hit by a similar
> problem but once I realized what's wrong, org-drill started to work
> perfectly for me.

thanks for you reply. it prompted me to look a bit closer at the ignored items
and i've now figured out what was wrong with them... it turns out that it is
absolutely necessary that there is some text after the header of a drill item,
before the first subheader. most of my items lacked this, however. my items
looked like this:

#+BEGIN_EXAMPLE

** Verb                                            :drill:

   :PROPERTIES:
   :DRILL_CARD_TYPE: twosided
   :END:

*** Deutsch

    <some German verb>

*** Russisch

    <Russian translation>

#+END_EXAMPLE

however, they need to look like this:

#+BEGIN_EXAMPLE

** Verb                                            :drill:

   :PROPERTIES:
   :DRILL_CARD_TYPE: twosided
   :END:

   <some text here>   <===== absolutely essential!

*** Deutsch

    <some German verb>

*** Russisch

    <Russian translation>

#+END_EXAMPLE

what is inconsistent about the way org-drill handles these is that even though
it doesn't use these faulty entries for drilling, it *does* provide them with a
unique :ID: property. so initially it doesn't look like there's anything wrong
with them...

i also didn't find an explicit mention of this in the docs, so perhaps i should
send an email to paul sexton...

but yes, now that i've figured out what i was doing wrong, org-drill works
great!

--
Joost Kremers
Life has its moments