Re: [O] :noweb header argument

From: Eric S Fraga
Subject: Re: [O] :noweb header argument
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2012 21:04:55 +0000

Eric Schulte <address@hidden> writes:

> address@hidden (Thomas S. Dye) writes:

[...]

>> Alternatively for LaTeX, some way to wrap exported code blocks in a
>> \begin{listing} ... \end{listing} environment, complete with caption and
>> label.  This way the code block name could appear in the caption, and
>> with \listoflistings, in the document frontmatter as well.
>>

> As I recall this was originally implemented and then later removed
> because it was causing more confusion and problems than it was worth.  I
> hope it hasn't crossed the line of existence more than once.  At some
> point it should be placed behind a user-customizable variable,
> preferably something like `org-babel-export-code-format' which defaults
> to something like "%code" but could be augmented to something like
> "Block Name: *%name*\n %code".  It is not immediately clear if such a
> variable should have different values for different export backends or
> (likely preferable) should expand into Org-mode text *before* export.

There is some precedence for having target specific customisations, even
if that is not a pretty approach.  As an example that has come up
recently, and one that I was just using a few minutes ago (!), we have

,----[ C-h v org-export-latex-timestamp-markup RET ]
| org-export-latex-timestamp-markup is a variable defined in `org-latex.el'.
| Its value is "\\hfill Action created or updated: %s"
| Original value was "\\textit{%s}"
|
| Documentation:
| A printf format string to be applied to time stamps.
|
| You can customize this variable.
|
| [back]
`----

Although I can see the benefit of a generic intermediate step, I am of
the belief that target specific markups are going to be more powerful
and likely more useful...

Just my two ยข.

--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 24.0.92.1
: using Org-mode version 7.8.03 (release_7.8.03.73.gd2b3d)