Re: [O] automatic tangle

From: Eric S Fraga
Subject: Re: [O] automatic tangle
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2012 22:39:56 +0000

András Major <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi fellows,
>
> I've just discovered that I'm missing a feature in org-mode.  These
> days I write much of my code in an Org buffer and tangle it into a set
> of source files.  Currently, I follow a rather cumbersome procedure
> when making changes to the code:
>
> 1. I change the Org file using the C-cC-c keystroke within the code
>    block I want to edit.
>
> 2. After editing, I press C-cc-c again to return to the main buffer.
>
> 3. I save the buffer.
>
> 4. I tangle the buffer using C-cC-vt.
>
> 5. For further editing, I press C-cC-c again.
>
> I know that 3. is optional, but this still leaves me with four steps
> instead of (ideally) just one.
>
> What I would like to have is a way of reducing all this to just one
> key command.  Would it make sense to introduce such a command that
> simply tangles the entire buffer, including the changes made in the
> language-specific buffer, but leaving that buffer open for editing?
> If it's a reasonably small change, could anyone introduce it?  (I
> don't have time to delve into the depths of org-mode.)
>
> Cheers,
>
>   András

Probably not what you want but, assuming that the keys you hit are
always the same, you could always define a keyboard macro, name it and
save it as emacs lisp code.

for example, the attached (because the insert-kbd-macro command creates
emacs lisp code with control characters) defines a new command which, if
starting from a code block special edit mode, exits that block, saves
the file, tangles the whole buffer and re-enters the code block:
You can then bind this new command to a key of your choice.  Untested...

HTH,
eric
--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 24.0.92.1
: using Org-mode version 7.8.03 (release_7.8.03.99.gce5c5)