Re: [O] LaTeX export: Keep point position in TeX file

From: Eric S Fraga
Subject: Re: [O] LaTeX export: Keep point position in TeX file
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2012 13:14:26 +0000

Michael Bach <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello everyone,
>
> The way I am now doing LaTeX export is that I have the exported tex
> buffer below the org buffer.  When I do an export via `C-c C-e l' the
> .tex buffer gets updated, but point jumps to beginning of buffer instead
> of staying where it was.  (How) Can I changed that so point stays near
> where it was before I exported again?
>
> Best Regards,
> Michael

I think this behaviour arises because the exporter exports to a buffer
which it first empties.  So the behaviour you see is very different from
when Emacs "reverts" a buffer when the file changes out from under it.

If so, I suggest you could achieve what you want by using the
org-export-* hooks to, for instance, save current position before export
and then jump to that position after export?  Maybe
org-export-first-hook and org-export-latex-final-hook could be used?

Untried and obviously untested!  And likely beyond my elisp capabilities
so I'd be very keen on seeing a solution.  This behaviour has also
bothered me (well, very minor irritation) for a long time as I often
export to latex when debugging the export to PDF.

HTH,
eric

--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 24.0.92.1
: using Org-mode version 7.8.03 (release_7.8.03.106.gc835)