Re: [O] Rsquared for reproductible research

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [O] Rsquared for reproductible research
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2012 09:29:12 -0700

Stephen Eglen <address@hidden> writes:

>> I recognized your name, Stephen, as the long-time maintainer of the "Emacs
>> Lisp List"--thanks for that too.
>> Are you envisioning a repository beyond "Emacs Lisp List" for OrgMode
>> implementations and/or Babel examples.
>
> I am interested in maintaining a collection of nice org-babel-R
> examples, given my interest in R and Emacs; I made a small start last
> year for my tutorial notes on ESS for the useR meeting, but I'd like to
> update that.  The key problem I found with learning org-babel was worked
> examples, given that the syntax was changing rapidly.  I hope that has
> now stabilised, and I should followup with Eric about this.

The syntax is now stabilized (we wanted to get this sorted before the
final Emacs24 merge).  That which is currently described in the manual
is and should remain the proper Org-mode code block syntax.

For many small examples, please see [1] which I (unfortunately) haven't
been adding to recently, but I will try to once again start using for
all of my small generally-mailing-list-inspired Babel one-offs.

> (I also hope to kill off the Emacs Lisp List once the ELPA has taken
> off.)
>
>> Also, I very much agree that a "near exact replica" of the http://
>> rsquared.stat.uni-muenchen.de/index.rhtml for OrgMode would be great.
> Yes!  Any takers?!?
>

>From looking at the fairly terse web site for R^2 it is not clear to me
exactly what the system includes (I'm sure I'm missing something
obvious).  It seems to be the addition of a packaging system over-top of
R source files.  What would a potential Org-mode based system provide
which is not already possible with Org-mode text files, Org-mode
publishing and a version control repository.

Perhaps the benefit would simply be a system which eases the integration
of Org, publishing, version control, and possibly automatic Makefile
creation with tasks like "publish", "clean" etc...

Best,

>> http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/roxygen/index.html
>
> Note that ESS has limited support for editing roxygen tags.
>
> Stephen

Footnotes:
[1]  http://eschulte.me/org-scraps/

--