Re: [O] org-babel order of evaluation

From: Rick Frankel
Subject: Re: [O] org-babel order of evaluation
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2012 17:51:29 -0500

On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 04:35:31PM -0600, Leo Alekseyev wrote:
> >> Therefore, when executing an entire buffer, there is no way to have
> >> the execution of a call block dependent on the prior execution of a
> >> source block.
> >>

> > It would be better to make the dependency explicit by passing the
> > results of the call line as a (potentially unused) variable to the code
> > block.  For example;
> [snip]

The problem w/ this is that the (potentially time consuming) dependent
will be executed twice when doing a buffer eval.

> > There is (at least currently) no guarantee that evaluation order will be
> > buffer order.
>
> Is there some deep rationale for the current behavior that I'm not
> seeing?  Are there big obstacles to enforcing ligeral execution order?

It's because prior to 7.8, call blocks were not executed during a
buffer execute. The solution was to execute all the call blocks after
executing the src block. (Eric would have to comment on how hard it
would be to merge the two functions :).

rick