Re: [O] Hack: org-agenda-cache.el

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [O] Hack: org-agenda-cache.el
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2012 13:18:57 +0100

Hi Max,

this is a pretty good solution if the main issue with slow agenda
is that it feels slow because you are often switching back and forth
between different agenda buffers.  I like it, and I would vote for
integration into Org-mode, not as a separate package, but directly,
as an option.  If Bastien agrees, maybe you could make a patch which
introduces this into the main code.

Three comments:

1. I think there needs to be a command to remove all agenda buffers, to make
sure that everything is updated.  Maybe this could be "C-u r" or so, which
would rebuilt the current and remove all others.  This commands needs to make
sure that all markers are safely discarded - otherwise you will die the marker
death eventually.

2. I don't think that "-cache" is the best name choice for this, because this
is not a caching mechanism.  It is a "multiple-agenda-buffers" thing.

3. One caveat for this is that maybe in some places, org-agenda-marker-table
is modified while the agenda buffer is not current (I am not sure, I just think
this needs to be checked).  If so, one would need to pop to the relevant agenda
buffer to make the change.

Just my 2c, of course.

- Carsten