Re: [O] byte-code: Error (org-odt): Cannot find factory styles files. Ab

From: Jambunathan K
Subject: Re: [O] byte-code: Error (org-odt): Cannot find factory styles files. Aborting.
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2012 18:35:17 +0530

Hello Johnny

>> It looks like one of your installation step is non-standard. There is an
>> easy workaround available but I would like to make sure that org-odt
>> auto-configures itself with minimal user intervention.
>
> Make on unmodified Makefile, manually moved to /usr/local/share
> direcory.

You MUST NOT copy files by hand. You MUST use 'make install' to copy the
files.

There are two variables - lispdir and datadir - that determine where the
lisp and styles files go. Here is the unmodified Makefile.

,---- Makefile
| # Where local software is found
| prefix=/usr/local
|
| # Where local lisp files go
| lispdir   = $(prefix)/share/emacs/site-lisp
|
| # Where data files go
| # $(datadir) contains auxiliary files for use with ODT exporter.
| # See comments under DATAFILES.
| datadir = $(prefix)/share/emacs/etc
`----

If you do M-x locate-library RET org-odt RET on your current
installation, you are likely to see the following message:
,----
| Library is file "/usr/local/share/emacs/org-mode" as directory.
`----

Based on the above setting, you can modify the default lispdir as
follows:

,---- Makefile
| # Where local lisp files go
| lispdir   = $(prefix)/share/emacs/org-mode <================
|
| # Where data files go
| # $(datadir) contains auxiliary files for use with ODT exporter.
| # See comments under DATAFILES.
| datadir = $(prefix)/share/emacs/etc
`----

The style files will then get automatically get copied to
/usr/local/share/emacs/etc.

It's NOT important what the values for lispdir and datadir are. What is
VERY IMPORTANT is that you use "make install" to copy the files.

>> - What OS/Distrib are you using
>
> Fedora 16.

I am on Windows. I don't use any of the Gnu/Linuxes.

I am not sure what Fedora policy for installation is. May be org-7.8.03
hasn't hit Fedora yet and that's the reason why you chose to download
and install by hand.

FYI, Gentoo uses the following values for lispdir and datadir.
prefix = /usr
lispdir = $(prefix)/share/emacs/site-lisp/org-mode/
datadir = $(prefix)/share/emacs/etc/org-mode/

See
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2011-12/msg00800.html.