Re: [O] Refiling list items

From: Jeff Horn
Subject: Re: [O] Refiling list items
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 23:56:18 -0500

On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 05:32, Bastien <address@hidden> wrote:
> I pushed three small changes to the org-refile interface:
>
> 1. before prompting the user for a refile target, put the point at the
>   beginning of the region/subtree to refile.  This will make sure
>   everyone understands we are refiling headlines, not text.
>
> 2. Improve the prompt itself, explicitely saying whether we are refiling
>   a subtree or a region (containing subtree(s)).
>
> 3. Add a new option `org-refile-active-region-within-subtree' which,
>   when turned on, allows the user to refile the active region, turning
>   the first line into a headline using `org-toggle-heading'.
>
> I think these are improvements going in the right direction -- let me
> know what you think.  On the overall, I'm with Nicolas in thinking that
> we need to be extra careful when we try to extend a functionality to
> heterogeneous elements.

I've just come across an instance when this functionality was useful
again. I like the solution you've implemented, Bastien. There's just a
small problem I see right now, which pops up in particular with the
example outline from my OP.

,----[ Sample Outline ]
| * Headline 1
| - List level 1
|   - List level 2
| * Headline 2
| Some text.
`----

Selecting the region with the second line and third line, inclusive
(the plain list under Heading 1), refiling with
`org-refile-active-region-within-subtree' toggled on produces the
following outline:

,----[ Results ]
| * Headline 1
| 2
| * Headline 2
| Some text.
| ** List level 1
|   - List level
`----

As you can see, the digit at the end of the list gets orphaned.

--
Jeffrey Horn
http://www.failuretorefrain.com/jeff/