Re: [O] [bug] :eval header argument ignored in the #+call: block

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [O] [bug] :eval header argument ignored in the #+call: block
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2012 11:46:09 -0700

Leo Alekseyev <address@hidden> writes:

> Suppose I have a code block foo, and I want to call it several times
> in my org file.  However, foo may be a slow function, and so any time
> I evaluate buffer non-interactively (e.g. HTML export) I want to
> enable only one out of many calls to :foo
>
> The following doesn't work, but I think it should, since the #+call:
> line should run foo with the header argument :eval no-export
>
> #+NAME: foo
> #+BEGIN_SRC R :var turn_on_output="FALSE"
> if(turn_on_output) { X11() }
> #+END_SRC
>
> #+CALL: foo[:eval no-export](turn_on_output="TRUE")  ## this STILL
> evaluates on export

Thanks for sharing this example.  It indicated two bugs in the existing
code base.  I've just pushed up fixes for both bugs, the attached
Org-mode file can be used to confirm that this is now working.

#+Title: foo

A buffer in which we want =foo= to be run when called interactively
from /any/ call line, but to only be run by a single call line on
export.  Ensure this works by executing this buffer to html while
tracking =foo-called.times= with =tail -f /tmp/foo-called.times=.

#+NAME: foo
#+BEGIN_SRC sh :var id="foo"
  echo "called by $id at $(date +%s.%N)" |tee -a /tmp/foo-called.times
#+END_SRC

This will *not* be run on export.
#+call: foo[:eval no-export]("bar")

This *will* be run on export.
#+call: foo("baz")

> Furthermore, a better solution to the situation I described above
> might be to set the :eval no-export header argument in the source
> block definition, and then over-ride it in the one #+call line that I
> want to run during export.  Unfortunately, it doesn't seem that this
> is currently possible.

The reason this second option doesn't work is that there is currently no
positive argument to the :eval header argument, rather it can only be
used to *inhibit* evaluation.

Cheers,

--
Eric Schulte