Re: [O] string joining accumulated noweb references

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [O] string joining accumulated noweb references
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 00:04:37 -0700

Achim Gratz <address@hidden> writes:

> Eric Schulte <address@hidden> writes:
>> I just pushed up a new customization variable named
>> `org-babel-noweb-separator' which is used to join multiple accumulated
>> noweb references like the above.  The value defaults to a newline giving
>> the same behavior resulting from your patch but can be set to any
>> string.
>
> Now, lets say I'd want to accumulate one set of noweb references with
> one separator and another set with a different one, maybe even in the
> same document.  How'd I do that?

Not possible in the same document, although on a document-by-document
basis I would recommend the use of file local variables.

> Also, using a customization variable for the purpose of changing the
> semantics of documents is generally fraught with peril: if someone does
> customize this variable, their documents will break in subtle ways for
> somebody with a different or no customization.  I suggest that such
> changes should always be visible in the source document itself.

That is a very good point.  I had originally started to implement this
parameter using a header argument, but then decided that it didn't make
sense to implement a multi-block parameter using a header argument.  Now
that you mention this however I do agree that a customization parameter
is even less appropriate.

Given that header arguments may be set on the file and subtree level, I
suppose they do offer the range of application appropriate for this sort
of parameter, and they are more likely (though not guaranteed) to have
their value present in the buffer.

I've just pushed up a change converting the `org-babel-noweb-separator'
customization variable to the :noweb-sep header argument.

Thanks,

--
Eric Schulte
http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte/