Re: [O] OT: taskjuggler question

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] OT: taskjuggler question
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2012 12:13:00 -0500

Christian Egli <address@hidden> wrote:

> Nick Dokos <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > But I have no TaskJugglerUI executable, which seems to be what the
> > exporter tries to call for export-and-open (C-c C-e J): what am I
> > missing?
>
> The TaskJugglerUI exists only if you have taskjuggler2.4 installed. The
> exporter predates tj3 and naively assumes that there is a TaskJugglerUI
> executable. It should really invoke a browser on the resulting HTML
> report[1] when you call export-and-open, at least when you are targeting
> tj3. The worst part is that it doesn't even tell the user that something
> failed, as it invokes the executable asynchronously using
> start-process-shell-command (info: (elisp) Asynchronous Processes). That
> way you can continue to work with emacs but emacs doesn't know what
> happened to the subprocess. I'll have to do some more research on how to
> start a process in the background and still check if it succeeded.

(setq p (start-process-shell-command "foo" nil "foo"))
#<process foo>
(process-status p)
exit
(process-exit-status p)
127

> Thanks
> Christian
>
> Footnotes:
> [1]  the tricky bit here is of course to find the resulting HTML, as the
> name of it is defined in a tj3 report definition. I'd rather refrain
> from parsing these report definitions just to find the name of the HTML
> file to open.

Yup - a pain. Maybe ask for an option to tj3:

      $ tj3 --silent --spit-out-name-of-html-file foo.tjp
      Plan.html

or

      $ tj3 --silent --symlink-report-to foo.html foo.tjp

and you can go after foo.html - but of course this assumes
that you have symlinks.

Nick