Re: [O] TAB from within a text

From: François Pinard
Subject: Re: [O] TAB from within a text
Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2012 10:30:12 -0500

"Alan Schmitt" <address@hidden> writes:

> On 3 Feb 2012, at 15:36, François Pinard wrote:

>> Is it unreasonable for me to hope that, instead of `C-c C-j <up>
>> TAB', a mere TAB from within a long text would quickly do what I
>> wanted?

> I have this in my .emacs:

> ;; From
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8607656/emacs-org-mode-how-to-fold-block-without-going-to-block-header,
> how to fold a block from inside
> (defun zin/org-cycle-current-headline ()
>   (interactive)
>   (outline-previous-heading)
>   (org-cycle))

> (add-hook 'org-mode-hook
>         (lambda ()
>           (define-key org-mode-map (kbd "C-c t")
> zin/org-cycle-current-headline)
>           ))

> Hope this helps,

Hello, Alan, and gang.

Yes, it does, yet a bit unexpectedly.  I see your usage of "/" to
control the "my" name space.  I also saw ":" and "::".  Maybe I should
change my habits, as I prepend "fp-", which is a bit dumb.  I wonder if
some common wisdom developed in that area, which I should follow.

It also helps as telling that I'm abusing of global-set-key for my Org
mode key bindings, while I should be more particular, as you do. :-)

As for the real problem, my suggestion was really that TAB (and not `C-c
t') be used for such a purpose, in Org mode proper, as it seems to me as
the natural thing to do, and might be generally useful.  However, I'm
not fully sure the suggestion is necessarily a good one, as TAB also has
special meaning here and there (I'm thinking of tables).  Maybe TAB
would be good enough nevertheless to be worth amending?

François