[O] [feature request] org-insert-heading

From: Achim Gratz
Subject: [O] [feature request] org-insert-heading
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 21:40:14 +0100

The command M-RET actually does what it's docstring says (insert before
when point is at BOL, split line when it is inside), but there is
inconsistent behaviour when point is at EOL, IMHO. Consider the
following list (or equivalent headline structure), with point after
"aaaa":

- aaaa
  + abbb
  + accc

Using org-insert-heading and entering "bbbb" will produce this:

- aaaa
- bbbb
  + abbb
  + accc

In doing so, the subtree of "aaaa" has been transferred to the new
heading, which is almost never what I want (and could easily be done by
appending the new list or headline text and then splitting the line).  I
would expect that the subtree of "aaaa" is considered as a unit when
inserting a new headline with point at EOL (just like all moving
commands would do and the result should be this:

- aaaa
  + abbb
  + accc
- bbbb

Could org-insert-heading be extended to handle this situation as I
outlined?

Regards,
Achim.