Re: [O] automatically mark DONE when all sub checkboxes are checked

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] automatically mark DONE when all sub checkboxes are checked
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 19:41:14 -0500

John Hendy <address@hidden> wrote:

> ,---
> | Note that the code requires that a checkbox statistics
> | cookie be present in order for it to work.
> `---
>
> I had no idea what that meant and thought it was just reiterating that
> you actually need checkboxes for this to work. Now it makes sense.
> Even inserting "(a statistics cookie is [/] or [%] in the parent todo
> headline)" would make it crystal clear.

The manual refers to them as "cookies": searching the index for either
"statistics" or "cookie" takes you to section 5.6 where they are
described.

But you should feel free to add the appropriate words: Worg (as you
know) is editable, and if you found it confusing, somebody else will too
(nudge, nudge). But I beat you to it in this case: thanks for the
suggestion and also for noticing the extra paren as well. OTOH, if you
don't like my verbiage, feel free to change it!

BTW, I don't agree that this should be default behavior (as Angel, I
believe, suggested): whether an item is done may be a matter of checking
boxes in some cases, but not always - for myself, I would like to
maintain the ultimate authority of declaring something done and not to
relegate it to mere code (is that provocative enough? :-) )

In addition, the function slows things down (every time you
check a box, the function runs), it makes a few assumptions about the
environment (todo states, statistics cookies), and I certainly would not
trust it to DTRT all the time: it would need hardening.

Nick