Re: [O] A manuscript on "reproducible research" introducing org-mode

From: Christophe Pouzat
Subject: Re: [O] A manuscript on "reproducible research" introducing org-mode
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 21:40:00 +0100

Aloha Tom,

Not yet in print, still on the accepted papers list
(http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/journal/aip/09284257), sorry. It
seems that I chose the "slowest" neuroscience journal!

Your JSS paper of last month (with Eric, Dan and Carsten) is great by
the way. It seems that I missed the announcements on the list when the
pre-print was posted, otherwise I would have managed to cite it in mine.

The bibtex entry for my paper (just downloaded from Elsevier site) is:

@article{Delescluse2011,
title = "Making neurophysiological data analysis reproducible: Why and how?",
journal = "Journal of Physiology-Paris",
volume = "",
number = "0",
pages = " - ",
year = "2011",
note = "",
issn = "0928-4257",
doi = "10.1016/j.jphysparis.2011.09.011",
url = "http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0928425711000374";,
author = "Matthieu Delescluse and Romain Franconville and Sébastien Joucla and
Tiffany Lieury and Christophe Pouzat",
keywords = "Software",
keywords = "R",
keywords = "Emacs",
keywords = "Matlab",
keywords = "Octave",
keywords = "LATEX",
keywords = "Org-mode",
keywords = "Python",
abstract = "Reproducible data analysis is an approach aiming at complementing
classical printed scientific articles with everything required to independently
reproduce the results they present. “Everything” covers here: the data, the
computer codes and a precise description of how the code was applied to the
data. A brief history of this approach is presented first, starting with what
economists have been calling replication since the early eighties to end with
what is now called reproducible research in computational data analysis
oriented fields like statistics and signal processing. Since efficient tools
are instrumental for a routine implementation of these approaches, a
description of some of the available ones is presented next. A toy example
demonstrates then the use of two open source software programs for reproducible
data analysis: the “Sweave family” and the org-mode of emacs. The former is
bound to R while the latter can be used with R, Matlab, Python and many more
“generalist” data processing software. Both solutions can be used with
Unix-like, Windows and Mac families of operating systems. It is argued that
neuroscientists could communicate much more efficiently their results by
adopting the reproducible research paradigm from their lab books all the way to
their articles, thesis and books."
}

I will post on the list the "official" bibliographic reference as soon
as the paper is in print.

Take care,

Christophe

--

Most people are not natural-born statisticians. Left to our own
devices we are not very good at picking out patterns from a sea of
noisy data. To put it another way, we are all too good at picking out
non-existent patterns that happen to suit our purposes.
Bradley Efron & Robert Tibshirani (1993) An Introduction to the Bootstrap

--

Christophe Pouzat
MAP5 - Mathématiques Appliquées à Paris 5
CNRS UMR 8145
45, rue des Saints-Pères
75006 PARIS
France