Re: [O] Displaying or linking to definitions of terms?

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] Displaying or linking to definitions of terms?
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2012 11:30:02 +0100

Hello,

address@hidden writes:

> I've done a fair amount of reading (and-rereading) the manual, and
> searching around, but my search skills are failing me and org-mode is
> flexible enough that I figure that someone has either done this, or
> there's something that makes it unnecessary that I don't know of.
>
> I'd like to be able to write a definition of a term, and then be able to
> jump to that definition, or see that definition in some way in buffers
> where the term occurs. Preferably on a "file can specify a file with
> term definitions" or a global scale, but even per-file period would be
> awesome.
>
> I imagine something like a block. In pseudo-org-code:
>
> #+begin_definition :term elegant
> pleasingly graceful and stylish in appearance or manner; pleasingly
> ingenious and simple.
> #+end_definition
>
> If there's a way for me to acheive the goal of "find the definition for
> this term" in a "this is already idiomatic-org" type of way, I'd love to
> hear it.
>
> If anyone has done something similar, I'd love to hear about it.

There are probably a lot of ways to achieve this with included tools.
For example, on a per file basis, you may use radio targets:

#+begin_src org
Contempt for happiness is usually contempt for other people's happiness,
and is an elegant hatred for the human race.

* Definitions

  - <<<elegant>>> :: pleasingly graceful and stylish in appearance or
                     manner; pleasingly ingenious and simple.
#+end_src

Note that you have to activate <<<elegant>>> radio target the first time
you introduce it (with C-c C-c), but present and future radio targets
will be liked to it automatically.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou