Re: [O] [dev] Implement "ref" link types

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] [dev] Implement "ref" link types
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2012 20:41:45 +0100

Hello,

Christian Moe <address@hidden> writes:

> Me, I don't see any problem with a [[ref:something]] syntax. It's the
> obvious org-native, cross-backend replacement for \ref. The
> [[protocol:something]] syntax already widens the notion of link to
> shell: and elisp: links, so I wouldn't worry about breaking
> conventions. Using e.g. [[!something]] instead would introduce a brand
> new bit of syntax.

Not really brand new, since there already are [[#custom-id]] and
[[*headline]].  Though, I'd favour [[ref:name]], too.

> Suggestion: On export, how about enabling automatic element
> descriptions for references following the type:name convention, so
> that e.g. just
>
> : in [[ref:tab:numbers]] we can see...
>
> would expand to
>
>   in Table 2 we can see...
>
> If implemented, this should be user-customizable e.g. through an alist
> like
>
>   (("fig" . "Figure") ("tab" . "Table") ("map" . "Map"))

That's another possibility, but I'd rather follow LaTeX usage. I think
it gives user more latitude in the end. Indeed, You don't have to think
about a name prefix ; you can also have constructs like "Tables
[[ref:table1]], [[ref:table2]] and [[ref:table3]]" for "Tables 1, 2 and
3", etc.

Note that the behaviour you suggest can easily be implemented using
filters in the new exporter.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou