Re: [O] Selectively export RESULTS

From: cberry
Subject: Re: [O] Selectively export RESULTS
Date: Wed, 29 Feb 2012 12:24:22 -0800

Eric Schulte <address@hidden> writes:

>>> Does this do what you want?
>>
>> No.
>>
>> When I put point under the headline and type C-c @ C-c C-e d, it prompts
>> me to evaluate each of the blocks, and when I answer 'no' to each, it
>> produces a document that omits the previously computed results.
>>
>> What I want is to grab *existing* results blocks and use them.
>>
>> And if at a later date some of those results blocks have changed, when I
>> again put point under the headline and type C-c @ C-c C-e d, I'd like
>> the newer blocks to be updated.
>>
>> The computations in some blocks run for many minutes, so it is
>> impractical to recompute them every time I want to tweak the format of a
>> document that depends on them.
>>

> Hi Chuck,

Thanks for your reply.

> Have you looked at the :cache header argument [1], from my understanding
> of your use case it should be exactly what you are after.

Its a step in the right direction.

It seems I have to set :cache yes on every block I use before I invoke
it. My attempt to use a buffer-wide PROPERTY setting for cache did not
pan out.

With org-confirm-babel-evaluate set to t, it prompts for confirmation of
each and every block/call it encounters, which is a bit tiresome. I can
set this to nil, but the potential for causing mischief by
unintenionally evaluating blocks whose results were OK and needed for a
quick report worries me.

Its pretty clear that the machinery needed to capture results is all
there. If I can find time, I'll trace thru what is going on when cache
yes is set and see if I can  do so more directly.

Chuck

--
Charles C. Berry                            Dept of Family/Preventive Medicine
cberry at ucsd edu                          UC San Diego