Re: [O] Selectively export RESULTS

From: cberry
Subject: Re: [O] Selectively export RESULTS
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2012 11:42:03 -0800

Eric Schulte <address@hidden> writes:

> Matthew Landis <address@hidden> writes:
>
>>  <cberry <at> tajo.ucsd.edu> writes:

>>> Its a step in the right direction.
>>>
>>> It seems I have to set :cache yes on every block I use before I invoke
>>> it. My attempt to use a buffer-wide PROPERTY setting for cache did not
>>> pan out.
>>>

> Were these technical problems with the implementation of :cache, or
> logistical problems specific to your organization of code blocks?

[rest deleted]

Eric,

your response is threaded as a reply to Matthew, but here you have
replied to my comment about buffer wide PROPERTY setting of :cache.

Here is an example of the difficulty I face:

,----
| #+property: :cache yes
|

| #+name: Ablock
| #+begin_src emacs-lisp :results value :exports both
|   (current-time-string)
| #+end_src
|
| #+results[2ca40f0dc0f23e5743133e229d9e8f31b31830c5]: Ablock
| : Wed Feb 29 11:57:19 2012
|

| * headline 1
|   :PROPERTIES:
|   :cache:   no
|   :END:
|
| #+CALL: Ablock() :exports results

`----

When I place point under the headline and issue

     C-c @ C-c C-e a

I get

,----
|                               headline 1
|                               ==========

| Date: 2012-03-02 11:28:54 PST
|

| Fri Mar  2 11:28:52 2012

`----

showing that Ablock() actually was executed.

If the :cache setting under 'headline 1' is omitted then no update of
the time string is performed.

I understand that this behavior might be considered a *feature*, not a
*bug*.

Either way, having an easy way to copy results into other parts of a
document would help me out.

Best,

Chuck

--
Charles C. Berry                            Dept of Family/Preventive Medicine
cberry at ucsd edu                          UC San Diego