Re: [O] Problem with babel and R + lattice

From: John Hendy
Subject: Re: [O] Problem with babel and R + lattice
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2012 08:04:15 -0600

On Fri, Mar 9, 2012 at 2:41 AM, Rainer M Krug <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 08/03/12 21:52, John Hendy wrote:
>> Drat. I meant to add that when I run the code exactly as I have it from R
>> directly, it works. I
>> literally copy and paste my org-mode babel block code line by line into a
>> terminal and obtain
>> the proper output via tikz. *That's* the perplexing part. What would be
>> working directly from R
>> and not from Org-mode?
>>
>> For reference, I've generated plenty of stuff just like this via
>> org-mode/babel. Come to think
>> of it, even another lattice plot.
>>
>> Not sure how to pinpoint what's goofy about this specific plot.
>>
>> John
>>
>> On Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 2:40 PM, John Hendy <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> I have an R block like so:
>>>
>>> #+begin_src R
>>>
>>> library(lattice) library(tikzDevice)
>>>
>>> =bunch of code=
>>>
>>> barchart(side$name~side$x2,groups=side$type,horiz=T,
>>> xlim=c(0,0.75),col=c("lightblue","yellow"),xlab="Product Performance
>>> (2-box)")
>>>
>>> dev.off() tools::texi2dvi("bar-2b.tex",pdf=T)
>>>
>>> #+end_src
>>>
>>> The resultant tex file is empty where the tikz code should be and texi2dvi
>>> fails. Any
>>> suggestions? If I change my plot to base graphics with barplot, it works.
>>> I'm thinking this
>>> is a lattice/babel issue?
>
> As with ggplot, you have to print your plot (if I remember correctly), i.e:
>
> print(barchart(...))

I stumbled on this, too but hadn't posted back to the list yet. What
got me on the track to the solution was copying my babel block code
into an R source file and trying to do = > source("path/to/file")=
directly from R. That wasn't working either, so I knew it was
something I was doing and not org. I found the R faq which said that
source files don't generate output for everything unless you tell them
to print() :)

Thanks!
John