Re: [O] Babel Python sessions severely broken

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [O] Babel Python sessions severely broken
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2012 14:24:34 -0700

Jacek Generowicz <address@hidden> writes:

> At Fri, 9 Mar 2012 13:31:05 -0700,
> Eric Schulte wrote:
>
>> I look forward to upcoming patches.
>
> I've not dug around the implementation of babel before. Any pointers
> on where to start?

Sure,

The best place to look at is existing lisp/ob-*.el files both for Python
itself and other languages.  These provide examples of how to deal with
nearly every session execution contingency.  The lisp/ob-comint.el file
provides functions which abstract away some of the hairy details of
working with session comint buffer.

Largely I would hope that you'll have to spend more time with the python
library which will be performing the evaluation, rather than with the
related Org-mode functions.

On the more general elisp dev side of things, one hint which I find
useful when exploring the workings of new code is edebug, which allows
single-stepping through the evaluation of a function.

Thanks, please do let me know if I can help with advice or explanation,

--
Eric Schulte
http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte/