Re: [O] org babel execute shell in sh?

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [O] org babel execute shell in sh?
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 13:29:02 -0400

Tom Regner <address@hidden> writes:

> Eric Schulte <address@hidden> writes:
>

>>> But I'm often bitten by the distinction between export and tangling --
>>> :padline, :shebang come to mind, where I expected org-babel to honour
>>> the setting in both cases.
>>>

>> Could you describe a use case where these options would be used for
>> exporting and would be preferable to simply including the padding lines
>> or the shebang literally in the code block?
>
> I use an LP org-document with zsh-codefragments to generate a CLIF
> testplan - the script is tangled, then executed and the output -- the
> generated .ctp file -- exported. In this case I'd prefere it to have the
> shell from the :shebang option used to run the tangled program, not
> /bin/sh, so that exporting the output inside the document and running
> the tangled program standalone produce the same result.
>
> At the moment I have to set the shell document- or session-wide to zsh
> to get reproducible behaviour.
>
> Whenever the export/execution is part of the generated document and of
> the generated product (the tangled code) I would like it, not to have to
> sides to configure.
>
> I don't know, if I make myself clear -- If not, please tell me so and I
> try to distill an example out of the cases I encountered at work, where
> I was wondering why some things did not work as I expected.

I think I understand now, so it is "execution" not "export" behavior
which could make use of the :shebang header argument.  I suppose that it
would be possible to allow the :shebang header argument to silently
override the value of the `org-babel-sh-command' variable when it is
present.

I just pushed up a patch which adds this behavior.  It does result in
some odd new possibilities, such as the following.

#+begin_src sh :shebang #!/bin/cat
  foo
#+end_src

#+RESULTS: