Re: [O] [DEV] New git workflow

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] [DEV] New git workflow
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2012 15:29:47 -0400

Simon Thum <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi Daniel,
>
> On 03/24/2012 12:05 PM, Daniel Dehennin wrote:
> > Simon Thum<address@hidden>  writes:
> > It seems that one problem with cherry-picking is the tracking of what is
> > in which branch and from where it comes.
> >
> > I'm not a git neither DVCS guru, but daggyfixes[1][2][3] is saner than
> > cherry-picking.
>
> I'm a bit biased as I mainly have git experience but to me it seems
> that both cherry-picking and daggy fixes have their strengths and
> weaknesses, and I'd rather have them both in all the VCSes but
> needless fights over which one is ultimately superior. Git should
> probably learn that thing, IMO.

I'm probably missing something but what's there to learn? You check out
the offending commit, make a branch off of it, commit the fix on the
branch, give it a tag (so you can find it easily later on) and then
merge it back anywhere you want. AFAICT, that's all there is to
daggy-fixes and git is perfectly capable of doing that - no?

Nick