Re: [O] Babel vs. Doxygen?

From: Sebastien Vauban
Subject: Re: [O] Babel vs. Doxygen?
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 10:04:07 +0200

Hi Michael,

Michael Hannon wrote:
> Greetings.  I just ran across an article about Doxygen [1], and I'm trying to

Forgotten footnote?

> understand if there's any intersection between Doxygen/Roxygen and Org mode
> Babel, both of which seem to have literate programming as a goal.  Any
> thoughts about this?  Thanks.

It just is completely different: with Babel, you put code blocks inside
documentation to be read by a human.

With Doxygen and the like, you put special comments (for generating doc)
inside your code. That's the opposite!

You could view it as more or less equal, but it's not. LP allows you to make a
documentation, and spread code blocks in any order inside it, in the order
which make more sense for the user to understand your strategy, method, etc.

LP allows you also to write a block of code once, and reuse it (even with
parameters) in multiple places, avoiding copy/pasted code for languages where
such a thing is sometimes difficult to avoid (SQL, Makefile, etc.), or where
avoiding it would make the code even much more complex.

These two last arguments are simply not applicable for Doxygen.

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban