Re: [O] Google Summer of Code 2012 Student Application

From: Andrew Young
Subject: Re: [O] Google Summer of Code 2012 Student Application
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2012 07:49:19 -0400

Hello Bastien,

On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 2:48 AM, Bastien <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi Andrew,
>
> Andrew Young <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> My name is Andrew Young, and I would like to participate in an Org-Mode
>> project for GSoC 2012.  My application for the project 'Git merge tool for
>> Org files' can be found
>> here<http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/proposal/review/google/gsoc2012/pwyl/1#>.
>
> Great!
>
>>  I would appreciate as much feedback and criticism as possible.
>
> First of all, make sure someone can co-mentor this project.  I'm willing
> to mentor this (as the current maintainer it makes sense, especially for
> people judging the project from the outside), but having Carsten as a
> co-mentor would be a great win.  Make sure Carsten (cc'ed) is okay.

I will send him a personal (private) request.

> Carsten, being a co-mentor involves mainly three things:
>
> 1. registering on google-melange.com
>
> 2. from there, requesting to be a mentor for the GNU project
>
> 3. during the project, help the student and have IRC/phone meetings,
>   at least when I'm not here (I expect to be off for 2-3 weeks this
>   summer, I will tell when ASAP)
>
>> I used the generic GNU Project student application template, which can be
>> found here <http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/org/google/gsoc2012/gnu>.
>
> 1. First things thing: you should rewrite the "summary" section to
>   remove the "I believe" and other informal writing from Carsten's
>   prose.  Make it yours, make it a real summary.

I found the GNU Application template confusing, and was not sure if
the summary was supposed to be written by me, or copied from the ideas
page (to clarify what project idea I was referring to).  I followed
your advice and wrote my own project summary, since that seems like
the better idea.

> 2. Refer to org-element.el when you mention the Data representation.
>   org-element.el will be key in representing data and diffs between
>   data (at any level.)
>
> 3. Add a documentation section, explaining what doc you will write and
>   how you you will write/host it (worg is fine.)

Thanks for the pointers. I've incorporated your advice into the proposal.

>> I have some specific questions:
>> 1.  There is no implementation details or decisions in my application, just
>> a basic plan of what needs to be done.  Should I start researching
>> implementation details for my application?
>
> You can look at org-element.el for the data representation.
>
>> 2.  I would like to post my application on the community site Worg.  If
>> this is appropriate, what is the proper channel to request GIT access?
>
> Send me your public key.
>
>> If this mailing list is not the appropriate place to discuss my
>> application, please let me know and then feel free to email me directly.  I
>> will also be spending as much time as possible on freenode #org-mode as
>> Pwyl.
>
> This mailing list *is* the appropriate place, no worry.
>
> Thanks again for your proposal, this would be a great plus for Org!
>
> Best,
>
> --
>  Bastien

Thanks again for your suggestions and pointers.

My public key is attached.

Regards,
Andrew