Re: [O] layout org-babel menu WAS: About org-babel menu

From: Thomas S. Dye
Subject: Re: [O] layout org-babel menu WAS: About org-babel menu
Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2012 11:19:47 -1000

Eric Schulte <address@hidden> writes:

> Torsten Wagner <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> for me the biggest "trouble" with babel is to remember the possible
>> keywords in the header for different languages.
>> There were a lot of ongoing syntax change which did not make it easier
>> for me to remember all this.
>> Thus a menu which is organised by languages offering all possible
>> settings for each language would be very helpful.
>> |
>> Python
>> |    |
>> |  export - code - result - both - none
>> |    |
>> |  tangle - no - yes- filename
>> |   |
>> |  result - value - output
>> |  |

>> Not sure how effectual this would be in a main menu. It would be
>> definitely awesome in a context menu
>>
>> That would be (copied from worg) [*] indicates cursor position
>>
>> #+NAME: factorial
>> #+BEGIN_SRC haskell [*] :results silent :exports code :var n=0
>>
>> a context menu would appear presenting all possible header arguments for
>> haskell
>>
>> #+NAME: factorial
>> #+BEGIN_SRC haskell :results [*] :exports code :var n=0
>>
>> a context menu presenting all possible values for the header argument
>> :results in haskell
>> I guess that together with the possibility to call this menu by
>> keyboard strokes or alternatively show the same infos in the
>> minibuffer would be a great win for babel and it would make many
>> questions here on the list unnecessary.
>> Furthermore, any change or extension in the syntax for a certain
>> language would be directly reflected to the end-user. E.g., If I
>> suddenly see the menu entry :exports 3dprint, I would be curious and
>> check it out on worg and the manual ;)
>>
>> Totti
>>

> Hi,
>
> I've put together a first pass at such support for interactive header
> argument look up.  Please evaluate this elisp code [1] in your *scratch*
> buffer, then in an Org-mode buffer insert a code block like the
> following with the point at [*], and press tab.
>
> #+begin_src R :[*]
>   :foo
> #+end_src
>
> You should see an auto-completion list showing which header arguments
> are available and (for those with known arguments) which arguments may
> be specified.  This includes language specific header arguments, i.e.,
> the R code block above suggests about twice as many possible header
> arguments as an elisp block.  Note this "expand on tab after :" behavior
> is active on "#+headers:" lines as well.
>
> This makes use of the `org-babel-common-header-args-w-values' variable
> which holds header argument names and completions, as well as the
> org-babel-header-arg-names:lang variables.
>
> Does this seem like a good interface?
>
> Is it missing any important functionality?
>
> Best,
>
> Footnotes:
> [...]

Hi Eric,

This is potentially much nicer than a function template.  I tried
filling out an R source code block's header arguments, but I couldn't
find a way to get :results output graphics, which I use frequently for
ggplot2 graphics.  With TAB I could see type arguments, but not
collection or handling arguments.  Is there some way to cycle through
the various completion lists?

All the best,
Tom

--