Re: [O] var expansion on tangling only once per file

From: Rainer M Krug
Subject: Re: [O] var expansion on tangling only once per file
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 09:41:14 +0200

On 11/04/12 16:15, Eric Schulte wrote:
> This is not currently possible, and any conceivable implementation would be
> necessarily complex
> requiring a good deal of cross-buffer coordination.

Ok - then I know why I haven't realised this before: I mover the variable
definition from a header
argument to the #+PROPERTY: as I need the variable throughout the document.

> Would it be possible to simply only declare the variable in a header argument
> applying to the
> first code block?  Using a session would keep that variables state through
> all subsequent code
> blocks.

Would work - but as I said above, I would have preferred to have the variable
defined at the top
of the buffer. I could use though the no-expand header argument for the source
blocks. At the moment,

I am putting them in a subtree and set the property for the subtree.

Thanks,

Rainer

> Best,
>
> Rainer M Krug <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> I have a file wide variable defined and tangle several source blockd into
>> one file.
>>
>> BNo the variable is expanded in each block.
>>
>> Would it be possible to have the expansion at the beginning of the file and
>> nod be repeated,
>> as this can cause problems?
>>
>> The following org code
>>
>> #+PROPERTY: tangle test.R #+PROPERTY: var TheVar=99
>>
>> * Part one #+begin_src R :tabgle: x <- 1 #+end_src * Problem #+begin_src R y
>> <- list( x = 1,
>> #+end_src * Problem continued #+begin_src R x <- 3 ) #+end_src
>>
>> results in an error in R due to the repeated "TheVar <- 99" in the list
>> definition.
>>
>> Org-mode version 7.8.08 (release_7.8.07.213.ge6fdf) from git this morning
>>
>> If I remember correctly, this sneeked in quite recently.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Rainer

- --
UCT), Dipl. Phys.