Re: [O] Problem after updating org: C-c a a broken

From: Jinli
Subject: Re: [O] Problem after updating org: C-c a a broken
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2012 00:45:04 +0000 (UTC)

Sebastien Vauban <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Nick and Markus,
>
> Nick Dokos wrote:
> > Nick Dokos <address@hidden> wrote:

> >> Did you try M-x org-reload RET? That should work but sometimes it misses
> >> something (but if it does, that would be a bug of course, so report it).
> >
> > nm - I missed the C-c C-x !
>
> I don't think org-reload is fully bullet-proof. I think it misses changes in
> defvars, deffaces, and the like: once set, if the default is changed, it's not
> updated by reloading the files.
>
> Now, in 99.999% of the cases, that should not be a problem. But to be really
> safe...
>
> Last thing, how is this problem solved by a restart of Emacs and not by a
> reload, not sure we can easily understand.
>
> Best regards,
>   Seb

Hello

I got similar errors while updating from org 7.3 to 7.8.08/09. My
emacs is 23.1. Open up emacs and type C-c a a will give an error about
function org-today is not defined. If I do an M-x org-version at this
stage it shows as the old 7.3 version. I have to manually do M-x
org-reload, which will bring up to 7.8 version.  And then everything
seems to function just fine.

Also sometimes emacs won't open org file by default if I do "emacs
$filename.org", again M-x org-reload will fix the issue. But it's
tedious as now I have to do 2 steps to open a file.

Can someone please advise what might be the problem here?

Thanks,
Jinli