Re: [O] IDE tools for maintaining Emacs Lisp programs (Org in particular

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: [O] IDE tools for maintaining Emacs Lisp programs (Org in particular)
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2012 01:30:14 +0200

Hi Sébastien,

"Sebastien Vauban"
<address@hidden> writes:

> This is a bit OT, but I'd be interested by learning how to get a better
> environment for editing ELisp code.
>
> Currently, the only friends I have are ElDoc and C-h f/v for navigation to
> symbol definitions. This is rather primitive, isn't it?

Well, I don't use eldoc (I should.)
My setup is also quite primitive.

> When I see what CEDET and ECB seem to offer -- though I'm not using them, not
> coding in C/C++, etc. -- , I'm quite jealous.
>
> Questions that I have:
>
> - Do you use TAGS?

No.

> - If yes, why don't we make TAGS from within the Makefile?
> - If yes, which ones: Emacs-style TAGS, Exuberant Ctags, GNU GLOBAL tags?
> - What do you use to jump from the point where a symbol is used to the point
>   where a symbol is defined (other than using C-h f/v)?

I use registers a lot.  I register the point, the window configuration,
I register chunks of text, etc.

I also use ElScreen, which implements tabs for Emacs:
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/EmacsLispScreen

I could not actually live without ElScreen and I can't wait to use
something native.

> - How do you return to your previous location?

Usual commands (C-x C-x) and registers.

> - Are you able to use CEDET/ECB for Emacs Lisp?

No.

> - Are you willing to share extract of your interesting configuration
> - scraps?

Configuration is like hair: with age, you somehow become minimalist :)

Besides using register-list.el¹, I don't have any particular setup.
Sorry I can't help more!  Looking forward reading other answers...

Best,

¹ http://lumiere.ens.fr/~guerry/u/register-list.el

--
 Bastien