Re: [O] Makefile restructuring

From: Achim Gratz
Subject: Re: [O] Makefile restructuring
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2012 16:34:18 +0200

Samuel Wales writes:
>   make compile info
>
> Will that make org-install and also info?

If you don't install org (i.e. run it directly out of the Git worktree),
that would be:

make compile autoloads info

> If so, what happens when makefiles change again and I will start
> missing something because I don't have it on the make line?  Plain
> make worked before and would make anything new that people would add
> to the makefile.

Plain "make" now really makes everything except install as it is
supposed to do (that is equivalent to "make all").  It didn't do the
full documentation before.

> Is there a way to just get it to work the way it did before?

That would be an uphill battle.  You can define your own target for what
you want to do in local.mk, say "org" and then do "make org".  BTW, you
don't need cleanall anymore before compiling (it is now implicit); if
you really want to compile without cleaning first, do a compile-dirty.

>> Any adaptations to your local environment should be made in local.mk —
>> that way it is ensured that changes in the defaults do not overwrite
>> your local configuration.
>
> I have no idea of how to do this whatsoever.

You just create a file local.mk, copy in the definitions from default.mk
that you need to change (and only those) and then change them to suit
your environment.  Look up the examples posted earlier in this thread:

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/44567

You'd additionally want

.PHONY: org
org:    compile autoloads info

at the top of your local.mk (that needs to be a TAB after the colon) if
you want to be able to say "make org" and have it do
"make compile autoloads info".

Regards,
Achim.