Re: [O] error on opening org-file with #+startup: indent

From: fkunze
Subject: Re: [O] error on opening org-file with #+startup: indent
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2012 21:29:49 +0000 (UTC)

Mike McLean <mike.mclean <at> pobox.com> writes:

> On Apr 24, 2012, at 3:18 PM, Achim Gratz wrote:
> Fritz Kunze writes:     I ran M-x load-library org followed by M-x
> org-version
- which

> returned 7.8.09.
>
> You didn't generate and (require 'org-install).
>

> If you have admin-rights / sudo access on your machine, the simplest method
may be to just follow the true install process
at http://orgmode.org/manual/Installation.html#Installation. Any reasonably
setup Linux/Unix system will require sudo / root access for the make install
step.

> If you are going to run Org-Mode without running “make install” (or don't
> have
the proper rights to run “make install”), the build process has recently
changed. This is likely why you are picking up the old autoloads. Instead of
= M-x cd ~/.emacs.d/org-7.8.09/ followed by C-u 0 M-x
byte-recompile-directory)=
do the following from your shell:

> $ cd ~/.emacs.d/org-7.8.09/
> $ make oldorg
>
> Back in Emacs:
>
> (add-to-list 'load-path "~/.emacs.d/org-7.8.09/lisp")
> (require 'org-install)
> Then immediately do a
>
> M-x org-version
>
> If you don't get a string similar to mine below, you still have conflicting
versions of Org Mode. In particular you are looking for the part after the '
<at> ' sign to point to an org-install.el that matches your ~/.emacs.d/org-
7.8.09/lisp directory location. Without it, Emacs and Org will be hopelessly
confused.

> =Org-mode version 7.8.09 (release_7.8.09-335-geabf89  <at>
/Users/mlm/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-install.el)=

> Mike

Hi Mike,
  Thanks for your comments.  Combining what you wrote with what Achim wrote I
was able to get my upgraded installation (org-7.8.90) to work as it once did in
org-6.36 (at least so far).

  I am unable to generate something similar to what you wrote that appears
after
the <at> sign - (you got something that included a path (~/.emacs.d/org-
7.8.09/lisp directory location)), all I get is the string org-7.8.09.  Is the
path stashed away in some customization variable that I can examine?

  If I don't have access to Make and I hand compiled the code, should I
continue
to expect to encounter other types of problems?

  At the risk of being redundant (as I separately replied to Achim) - Regarding
the installation instructions: At first I started here
(http://orgmode.org/manual/Installation.html#Installation) but since I am
running on windows 7, I have no access to "Make".  I want to avoid installing
cywin as it typically fails to track windows 7 x64.  As far as I can tell, make
is unnecessary as well since you can hand compile all the files (as I described
in my bug report). It's my mistake that I failed to notice the requirement to
add (require 'org-install).

  Here's a suggestion that might help others who encounter similar problems:
Augment the installation description
(http://orgmode.org/manual/Installation.html#Installation) with a short
description for windows users (that avoids the use of make).