Re: [O] [beamer] When are :BEAMER_envargs: used or ignored?

From: Sebastien Vauban
Subject: Re: [O] [beamer] When are :BEAMER_envargs: used or ignored?
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2012 13:15:23 +0200

Hi James,

James Harkins wrote:
> At Thu, 26 Apr 2012 17:44:56 +0930,
> Eric Fraga wrote:
>> > But I still have the issue with it
>> > that the user has to adapt the org-file structure to suit beamer's
>> > requirements. Org-mode is all about reflecting the content in a way
>> > that makes sense FIRST to humans, and only secondarily to exporting
>> > engines.
>>
>> I agree.  However, the problems arise when exporting because of
>> fundamentally different structures between org and the export
>> target.  This is why we have the various kludges (if people can forgive
>> me for calling them this) like ATTR_HTML and ATTR_LATEX.  There is no
>> easy or elegant mechanism in org for satisfying all the different export
>> target requirements that are fundamentally inconsistent with org's
>> outline heritage.
>
> I understand. An elegant solution would take some mulling over (especially
> considering that I've only recently started using the export features, and my
> knowledge of LaTeX is superficial at best). In the meantime, I can live with
> the current situation.
>
> That the headline title is used for the color specification is probably not
> such an unbearable thing in practice. How many color boxes are there likely to
> be on one slide? (Meaning, if you're tempted to load up a slide with so many
> color boxes that you get confused about the content, maybe the content needs
> to be restructured.) If it's the only color box on the slide, quite likely you
> can infer its content from the frame title or other headings nearby.
>
> It just struck me as a loose end, and I'm glad I asked about it, because I
> have a better understanding of the issues now.
>
>> For this particular case, it could be that the beamercolorbox
>> environment could be made to expect a specific PROPERTY, much like the
>> column environment does.  The question would then be: what should the
>> headline be used for as beamercolorbox has no real text content
>> argument.
>
> There are other beamer tags that don't use the headline text, namely quote and
> quotation. According to the beamer user guide, there's no place for the
> headline:
>
> \begin{quote}<action specification>
> environment contents
> \end{quote}
>
> Compared to
>
> \begin{block}<action specification>{block title}<action specification>
> environment contents
> \end{block}
>
> So, there is already a situation where you have to put some dummy text into
> the headline that won't appear.

And, in Org-Beamer, you have the explicit tag `b_ignore' as well, to ignore
the entry title, using the contents only.

> Maybe there could be special handling for title-less environments, so that
> the headline would become the environment contents and colorbox could take
> its color from a property...

I don't find that a particularly attractive option, since you would end up
with very long headlines (often more than 80 characters) and you would not be
able to have multiline (or multiparagraph) contents.

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban