Re: [O] Org referring to Gnus mail

From: François Pinard
Subject: Re: [O] Org referring to Gnus mail
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2012 11:50:05 -0400

William Gardella <address@hidden> writes:

> If you close the group with `gnus-summary-exit-no-update' (the Q key
> in default binding), these messages will not be marked as read.

Indeed, thanks William!

Now, I just have to be careful enough to remember to use "Q" instead of
"q"!  When flying around between Emacs buffers and duties, one may get
distracted and forget.  Besides, fast key typing too often comes from
the spinal chord rather than the brain! ☺

Maybe I could temporarily unbind "q", or something.

> So you have a command to automatically populate an Org tree from local
> newsgroups?  Wow, sounds cool.

Well, only those articles matching some given pattern, not all of them.
I have had this reoccurring need to do wide searches in big set of email
folders, which I used /very/ intensely at times.

The lack of inter-operability in both WorkFlowy and Thunderbird (which I
both liked very much otherwise) was my incentive for switching into Org
and Gnus, but I did not yet re-implement wide searches in Gnus.  Having
the need again recently, I tried nnvirtual, which is *way* too slow, and
this is why I quickly kludged a solution which, fun enough, is fast!

> I've long wondered if Org would make a good mailreader, and it sounds
> like you've determined that yes, it could :)

While I clearly see the smiley, let me underline that I do not see Org
as a good mail reader.  Gnus is!  However, for me, it was much, much
easier to generate an Org tree for matching messages than to write a new
Gnus backend, thanks to the nice integration between Org and Gnus!

François