[O] Emacs occasionally hangs using org-mode

From: Richard Stanton
Subject: [O] Emacs occasionally hangs using org-mode
Date: Wed, 2 May 2012 12:28:43 -0700

I've been using org-mode (version 7.8.09, release_7.8.09-482-gf47915)
quite a lot over the last 24 hours to edit a file that will turn into a
Beamer presentation. One problem I've encountered during this period is
that Emacs (24.0.96 under OS X Lion) has randomly hung multiple times.
Sometimes this occurs when I have just asked Emacs to process the org file
to a PDF file, but sometimes it occurs when I'm just typing. Sometimes the
hang involves Emacs literally disappearing, and sometimes I just get an
infinite rotating ball. There's nothing obviously predictable about when
this occurs, and it's happened maybe 10 times in the last 24 hours. Not a
fatal problem, and Emacs fires up quite quickly on my Mac, but annoying
nevertheless.

I suspect this may well be an Emacs problem rather than an org-mode
problem, and that I'm only seeing it as org related because that's what
I've been using for the last 24 hours, but either way I'd appreciate any
suggestions for how to track down more information to help solve this
problem.

By the way, I just tried going back to 24.0.95 and it hung too, so it's
not just this version of Emacs.