Re: [O] Babel and capitalization

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [O] Babel and capitalization
Date: Mon, 21 May 2012 09:48:42 -0400

François Pinard <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi, Org people!
>
> A while ago, we discussed capitalization on this list, as the manual was
> irregular on things like #+BEGIN_SRC and #+begin_src.  After some
> discussion and hesitation, Bastien decided to stick to upper case in the
> manual, and despite it was not my own preference, I amended all my Org
> files to use upper case, for consistency.
>
> Now, I have a script, run at least daily, which checks all my Org files
> for a lot of nits.  After I started to study some of Babel facilities
> (yesterday), my script now trips on Babel results:

> ~/fp/notes/notes.org:33: Wrong capitalization
> ~/fp/notes/notes.org:57: Wrong capitalization
>
> And indeed, I get, trying an example taken from this mailing list:

> #+BEGIN_SRC R :results output
> citation()
> #+END_SRC
>
> #+RESULTS:
> #+begin_example
>
> To cite R in publications use:
>
>   R Development Core Team (2011). R: A language and environment for
>   statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing,
>   Vienna, Austria. ISBN 3-900051-07-0, URL http://www.R-project.org/.
>
> A BibTeX entry for LaTeX users is
>
>   @Manual{,
>     title = {R: A Language and Environment for Statistical Computing},
>     author = {{R Development Core Team}},
>     organization = {R Foundation for Statistical Computing},
>     address = {Vienna, Austria},
>     year = {2011},
>     note = {{ISBN} 3-900051-07-0},
>     url = {http://www.R-project.org/},
>   }
>
> We have invested a lot of time and effort in creating R, please cite it
> when using it for data analysis. See also ‘citation("pkgname")’ for
> citing R packages.
> #+end_example
>
> If I correct #+begin_example to #+BEGIN_EXAMPLE, etc. and retry, the
> result returns to lower case.
>
> I could of course modify my nit-picking program so it recognizes the
> #+RESULTS: case, but my feeling is that Org should be consistent overall
> on capitalization.  And by telling this, of course, I disregard my own
> preference.  Consistency has a stronger appeal to me.
>
> François

Hi François,

I've just added a new variable which may be customized to control the
capitalization of these example delimiters.  Add the following to your
config

    ;; -*- emacs-lisp -*-
    (setq org-babel-capitalize-examplize-region-markers t)

and the latest version of Org-mode will insert capitalized versions of
all begin/end example delimiters.

Best,

--
Eric Schulte