Re: [O] makefile regression

From: Achim Gratz
Subject: Re: [O] makefile regression
Date: Thu, 24 May 2012 08:00:12 +0200

Greg Troxel writes:
> and it seems recent changes have required beyond-POSIX-make features.

GNU make is (and actually always was) required for the Makefile to fully
work.

> This seems unfortunate; I don't understand why building org has to be so
> complicated.  If it is complicated, it seems best to use
> autoconf/automake, which already have worked out most of the portability
> issues.

Please, let's not go there.  I will implement a facility to build an
in-place orgmode without any support from make at all.  It appears that
this would be enough for your use-case, but I'd still still suggest to
use GNU make.

> At the very least a dependency on GNU make should be documented, if that
> is indeed an intentional decision by the community.

At the very start of my Makefile branch I stated that I will use GNU
make since the old make file already used some GNU make features.  This
will be documented when it gets released.  Using GNU make features
helped to keep things a bit more maintenance friendly, but before other
things, I have a reliable documentation of what it is supposed to do and
can be reasonably sure that it actually does that across a range of
platforms.

> (I haven't seen any discussion, but I confess to not quite keeping up
> with with emacs-orgmode traffic.)

It seems a better idea to stay on maint rather than on master then.

Regards,
Achim.

Wavetables for the Waldorf Blofeld: