Re: [O] "Smart" quotes

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] "Smart" quotes
Date: Sat, 26 May 2012 08:48:06 +0200

Hello,

"Mark E. Shoulson" <address@hidden> writes:

>> The regexp may be able to tell level 1 from level 2 quotes.
>
> Do you mean that the author would use the same characters for both
> first and second level quotes, and the regexp would be smart enough to
> distinguish which level each was at?  I don't think that's possible,
> and you probably don't either.

Actually, I do. Since you can tell an opening quote from a closing one
by the position of the white space (or parenthesis, beginning/end of
line) near it, I think you can deduce the quote level. I may be wrong,
though.

> "this is a 'quote', and that's all you need to know."
>
> becoming, for instance

"this is a "quote", and that's all you need to know" is as parsable to
me.

As a side note, at least in French, many typographers would recommend
"this is a /quote/, and that's all you need to know" here. Oh, and
I know that was just an example.

> I'd love to get org more export-friendly.  I'll see what I can
> understand of the (new) export code.

Do not hesitate to ask questions about it.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou