Re: [O] preview latex fragments

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] preview latex fragments
Date: Mon, 28 May 2012 00:56:41 -0400

Nick Dokos <address@hidden> wrote:

> > Actually, now I can again reproduce it.  The problem seems to be tikz:
> > With tikz in the latex header, foreground is always black.  So probably
> > more a LaTeX-issue?

> > Can I make the foreground changing work even with tikz loaded in the
> > latex document?
> >

> I can reproduce it too, without tikz. I have a green-on-black setup but
> I think the underlying reason (at least in my case: Andreas's case might
> be different) is minted. I'm appending an org file with my
> investigation.
>
> Nick
>
> ... investigation elided...
>
> So either the production of the fragment is wrong or the production of
> the png from the fragment, probably the former. The latex code for the
> fragment follows. If I again do the latex/dvipng run by hand (with
> --shell-escape to accommodate minted) I get an all-black png. If I
> comment out minted, it works.
>
> #+BEGIN_SRC latex
> \documentclass{article}
> \usepackage[usenames]{color}
> \usepackage{amsmath}
> \usepackage[mathscr]{eucal}
> \pagestyle{empty}             % do not remove
> \usepackage{minted}
> \usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
> \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
> % Package fixltx2e omitted
> \usepackage{graphicx}
> % Package longtable omitted
> % Package float omitted
> % Package wrapfig omitted
> \usepackage{soul}
> \usepackage{textcomp}
> \usepackage{marvosym}
> \usepackage{wasysym}
> \usepackage{latexsym}
> \usepackage{amssymb}
> % Package hyperref omitted
> \tolerance=1000
> % The settings below are copied from fullpage.sty
> \setlength{\textwidth}{\paperwidth}
> \addtolength{\textwidth}{-3cm}
> \setlength{\oddsidemargin}{1.5cm}
> \addtolength{\oddsidemargin}{-2.54cm}
> \setlength{\evensidemargin}{\oddsidemargin}
> \setlength{\textheight}{\paperheight}
> \addtolength{\textheight}{-\headheight}
> \addtolength{\textheight}{-\headsep}
> \addtolength{\textheight}{-\footskip}
> \addtolength{\textheight}{-3cm}
> \setlength{\topmargin}{1.5cm}
> \addtolength{\topmargin}{-2.54cm}
> \begin{document}
> \[
> 2 + 2 = 4
> \]
> \end{document}
>
> #+END_SRC

I asked on comp.text.tex and Philipp Stephani provided the following
explanation (fragment2.tex is a simplified version of the above tex
file):

,----
| nick <address@hidden> writes:
|
| > If I process the following file through latex and dvipng:
| >
| >    latex [--shell-escape] fragment2.tex
| >    dvipng -fg "rgb 0 1 0" -bg "rgb 0 0 0" -T tight -D 140\
| >      -o fragment2.png fragment2.dvi
| >
| > I get a black blob as output if the \usepackage{minted} line
| > is included, but the expected image (a green-on-black "2 + 2 = 4"),
| > Is this a minted bug? a dvipng bug? both? neither?
|
| It's a feature/unavoidable technical limitation.  A more minimal example
| that doesn't even require minted is
|
| \documentclass{article}
| \usepackage{xcolor}
| \begin{document}
| \end{document}
|
| xcolor is loaded by minted, and it explicitly initializes the foreground
| color.  According to the dvipng man page,
|
|     -fg color_spec
|            Choose foreground color for the images. *This option will be
|            ignored if there is a foreground color \special in the DVI.*
|
| So you should rather set the desired foreground color in the TeX file,
| that's less fragile.
|
| --
| Philipp Stephani
`----

So it might be worth thinking about doing that when previewing latex
fragments. I haven't tried anything out yet, but I thought I'd post this
for any intrepid souls who might like to experiment with it.

Nick