Re: [O] Testing: org-export-e-html

From: William Crandall
Subject: Re: [O] Testing: org-export-e-html
Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2012 00:40:07 -0700

Jambunathan,

Thanks to you, and Nicolas, for your patience.

I now see (blindingly, now that I do see) that the export engine
adds the # to internal links, not me.

The only trailing issue I see is the "soft error" of no </a> tag
on <<targets>> (see W3C notes below).

This (org):
Link and description, to anchor in paragraph: [[bc][BC]]

Paragraph with a /dedicated target/: <<bc>>BC

Exports to (new):
Link and description, to anchor in paragraph: <a href="#bc">BC</a>

Success!

And headlines with a <<target>> are also fine:

This (org):
Link and description, to anchor in headline: [[directors][Directors]]

* <<directors>>Directors

Exports to (new):
Link and description, to anchor in headline: <a href="#directors">Directors</a>

<h2 id="sec-1"><a id="directors" name="directors"/>Directors</h2>

Success!

And I /understand/ how ":PROPERTIES: :CUSTOM_ID: directors" in
a headline, can be linked to with: [[#directors][Directors]],
WITH a # that I, not the engine, insert.

So I'm good to go! Many thanks.

One trailing point:

You may want to consider adding a formal closing </a> tag for
<<target>> elements (as the "old" engine does) rather than just
"self-closing" the <a> tag with a "/>".

A Firefox comment (viewing source) caught my attention:

    "Self-closing syntax ("/>") used on a non-void HTML element.
    Ignoring the slash and treating as a start tag."

Then I found this:

http://www.w3.org/TR/html-markup/syntax.html#syntax-elements

    "A non-void element must have an end tag, unless the subsection
    for that element in the HTML elements section of this reference
    indicates that its end tag can be omitted."

And this:

http://www.w3.org/TR/html-markup/a.html#a-tags

    "An a element must have both a start tag and an end tag."

I take all of this to mean that "it would be best" to use "</a>"
closing tags, rather than "self-closing" an "<a ..." with a "/>".

But again, the way it is works for me. Many thanks.

Best of luck on the rest of it!

-BC