[O] Default emphasis regexp problems

From: Andreas Matthias
Subject: [O] Default emphasis regexp problems
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2012 02:06:56 +0000 (UTC)

Hi,

the following cases fail to display italics correctly in org-mode 7.4:

----------------------------- snip -----------------------------

1. The user would also certainly think that “it’s all actually happening,”
simply because it /would be happening,/ albeit in an environment that is
different from the physical one his body is located in. We seem to have much
less difficulty than Jones acknowledging that one is able to perform such
activities in a /shared/ environment.

2. Obviously, cooking a dish presupposes that there /is/ a dish to be cooked.
Therefore, a crucial question in evaluating the possibility of cooking a dish
would be /whether there is food inside the kitchen,/ which the user could
process without leaving the virtual world. If this were the case, and we would
still uphold Jones’s judgement that cooking in a virtual world is impossible,
then indeed we would be confronted with something or other. If, on the other
hand, the impossibility of cooking a dish is due to the fact that there simply
/are/ no dishes inside that environment, then Jones’s criticism does not apply
to virtual environments at all.

3. This is another way in which we can understand Jones’s remark about there
being “no way [the dish] /is./” This is not an uncommon position.

----------------------------- snip -----------------------------

Including punctuation in italics passages is (as I understand it) preferred from
a typography point of view, but it breaks org-mode's emphasis regexp. An ad-hoc
adjustment of the default Emphasis Regexp Components solves the problem:

------------------------------ fix begin ------------------------
Org Emphasis Regexp Components: Hide Value
Allowed chars in pre      : "   ('\"{"
Allowed chars in post     : "-  .,:!?;'\")}\\”"
Forbidden chars in border : "   ^M\n'"
Regexp for body           : "."

As far as I can see, the change does not break anything, but I am not sure,
because I don't really understand the rationale behind all the choices in the
original regexp. Perhaps its author can have a look at my changes?

I suggest that the default be changed to fix the above problems, since the
normal user cannot be expected to fix the regexp himself.

Thanks!

A.M.