[O] orgmode latex export: reference to label rather than section

From: Thomas Alexander Gerds
Subject: [O] orgmode latex export: reference to label rather than section
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2012 12:35:45 +0200

Hi

I would be grateful if someone could help me sort out my confusion
regarding references to headings (sections) in latex export.

I am used to latex section labels and references via reftex, e.g.

,----
| \section{This is a test}
| \label{sec:testit}
|
| In Section \ref{sec:testit}
`----

To achieve this in orgmode it seems that one should set

,----
| (setq org-export-latex-hyperref-format "\\ref{%s}")
`----

and then write:

,----
| * This is a test
|
| In Section [[This is a test]]
`----

This seems to work!

However, if I later change the specific section title ("This is a
test"), then I have to remember to also change all links [[references]]
to this section. I feel this is a potential source of error and would
therefore prefer to explicitly set and refer to a label for this
section. But, the following statement

,----
| #+LABEL: sec:testit
| * This is a test
`----

is exported as

,----
| \section{This is a test}
| \label{sec-2}
`----

so, my label is ignored.

Is there a workaround for this?

Thanks,
Thomas

ps: running orgmode version 7.8.11 on emacs version 23.3.1