Re: [O] Org/LaTeX set-up for business letters?

From: Thorsten Jolitz
Subject: Re: [O] Org/LaTeX set-up for business letters?
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2012 00:47:59 +0200

suvayu ali <address@hidden> writes:

> Well I assumed it would be since you already have a "quite nice"
> OpenOffice template.

It looks like a professional letter, while everything I found in the web
rathers proves that programmers are not designers, even with a tool like
LaTeX at hand.

> If you are after latex templates for letters in specific, I think Org
> mode might be the wrong tool for that. The tree structure is a
> fundamental part of Org. This works very well for articles, reports,
> theses; however I'm not sure it works as well for letters. You might
> be better off by just using latex directly.
>
> That said, maybe you could look for a latex template on CTAN[1]. Then
> you could customise org-export-latex-classes to include the
> documentclass provided by the package. Although I'm not sure how a tree
> structure could be mapped to a letter.
>
> If you do succeed, I would be interested to know.

Thanks for the tips, but I don't have time for that at the moment and
was rather hoping that somebody already did the work and likes to share.
Of course this is not a LaTeX list, but it would be OK too to just have a
nice LaTeX template and write with AucTeX, even if Org mode is not used
(yet).

> Footnotes:
>
> [1] Off the top of the head I recall a package called `scrlttr'.

Yes, part of KOMA (?), but thats rather low level if you have to design
your own letters - and who knows all that stuff about professional letter
design?. I tried that once and the result was ugly, there is a lot of
extra work necesary to make it look fancy and modern.

--
cheers,
Thorsten