Re: [O] Manual does not list :results output graphics as babel header ar

From: John Hendy
Subject: Re: [O] Manual does not list :results output graphics as babel header arg
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2012 11:03:43 -0500

On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 10:19 AM, Thomas S. Dye <address@hidden> wrote:
> John Hendy <address@hidden> writes:

>>> Hi John,
>>>
>>> The babel header arguments are implemented at two levels.
>>>
>>> There are general babel arguments that apply to all the supported
>>> languages.  These are described in the manual.
>>>
>>> It is also possible for the individual language implementations to
>>> define their own header arguments.  R is a good example, where the very
>>> many arguments to the various R output devices are built into ob-R.el.
>>> These language specific header arguments are not described in the
>>> manual, but instead appear in the language specific documentation on
>>> Worg.
>>>
>>> Re: your specific question about :results output graphics.  I believe
>>> this is an R specific header argument and that it is described in the
>>> appropriate place in the documentation on Worg (see lines 68 and 230
>>> of ob-R.el).
>>>
>>> The manual is not a one-stop source for answers to all Babel questions.
>>> Recourse to the language specific documentation is typically necessary,
>>> which is why it would be great if someone could find time to work up
>>> documentation for the 20 or so languages that still lack it :)
>>
>> Thanks for the clarification and that answers the question. This was a
>> specific header argument for R. Perhaps the manual could link to this
>> page?
>> - http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/languages.html
>>
>> Maybe with a diddy: "Some languages feature their own unique header
>> arguments. The above document only universal, system wide Babel header
>> arguments and one should consult the specific language page on Worg
>> for additional features."
>>
>> Just a thought.
>
> Hi John,
>
> Thanks for this thought, which is indeed reasonable.  I thought the
> manual might lack this structure, but when I went back to the
> manual I found that
> http://orgmode.org/manual/Specific-header-arguments.html#Specific-header-arguments
> has this at the bottom of the page: "Additional header arguments are
> defined on a language-specific basis, see Languages", where "Languages"
> is a link to another manual page, one with a table of supported
> languages and a link to the Worg page you cite.

Wow. You see only what you look for. :embarrassed:

> The language is a bit different than your proposal, but the path seems
> clear enough to me.

Technically the path points to
http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/languages/; I'd point it to
http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/languages.html as it looks
cleaner vs. just looking at the directory of .html files. Either
way... the manual totally does it's job and I missed it!

Thanks for bearing with me!
John