Re: [O] Org mode export to Groff MM. Feature Freeze

From: Luis Anaya
Subject: Re: [O] Org mode export to Groff MM. Feature Freeze
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2012 10:06:50 -0400

Hi:

> An advantage of the new export engine is that a back-end can be as
> simple as you want it to be.

This is correct; you bring a good point.

> One can imagine specialized back-ends only rendering a limited set of
> Org features. As long as the set is explicitly documented in the
> back-end, there's nothing wrong with that.

Agreed.

But, there's more to the story. I started dabbling with muse
this morning at 4:00 AM (because that's the best time to play with
emacs, just after the ghosts go to bed :) ). I got a fairly modest
version running in muse that created a fairly believable man page.

I realized some things during the experiment:

1. Although the subset of MAN macros is small for the creation of man
pages, there are things that can be done procedurally during export that
can enhance the look of the man page. The new Org backend makes this
task a lot easier because of its flexibility and the availability of all
data items through the "info" variable.   The POD to man page does that,
no reason why it cannot be done in Org.

2. The ability to render source code, or the execution of embedded code,
would have a positive impact on the end result.

I can work on a prototype on Org and see how it goes.

--
Luis Anaya
papo anaya aroba hot mail punto com