Re: [O] several column view dynamic block on sparse tree

From: Jacob Riko
Subject: Re: [O] several column view dynamic block on sparse tree
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2012 14:51:40 +0200

Hi Bastien,

On 01.08.2012, at 14:31, Bastien wrote:
> Jacob Riko <address@hidden> writes:
>> I would like to do have several dynamic blocks, that each works for a
>> specific tag and captures a time-summing column view on the sparse tree of
>> the file matching the current tag.
>
> As far as I understand it, this cannot be done.
Good, at least I did not overlook the possibility.

> You can have several columnview captures, provided that you have several
> column views defined in different subtrees.
>
> But there is no notion of "a column view relative to a sparse tree".
My current approach is to have a relatively simple elisp function that copies
the relevant info (here: time) into a temporary property, based on matching
tags.  With this a column view on this temporary property does the job.  It's
not quite finished yet, once it's ripe I will ask for comments here.

>> Background:
>>
>> I am currently designing two university courses that cover roughly the same
>> topics.  I would like to do the topic selection, time estimation (time
>> needed for a topic in class, time to solve an exercise) and scheduling
>> (which topic/exercise/..) to do in which class/week in one org-mode file
>> that has as the main tree a topic tree.
>> My idea was to have tags to identify topics I would do in a certain course,
>> and a family of tags (like courseA_a, courseA_b) to tag things I would do
>> in a certain lecture.
>> Now I could (with the above constructs) extract the topics and
>> time-estimates for the two different courses, and even for the single
>> lectures of each course, or the single weeks of assigned homeworks for the
>> different courses.
>>
>> Is this a reasonable setup?
>
> I would rather use a different *subtree* for each course, thus allowing
> different columnviews for each course.
Hm.  How would I then share topics and activities between the different courses?

Cheers,

Riko

--
Riko Jacob