[O] starting value for ordered lists?

From: Matt Price
Subject: [O] starting value for ordered lists?
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2012 14:24:39 -0400

Hi,

in the org manual (http://orgmode.org/manual/Plain-lists.html) i read that I can start an ordered list at a particular number using an address@hidden syntax:

If you want a list to start with a different value (e.g. 20), start the text of the item with address@hidden4. Those constructs can be used in any item of the list in order to enforce a particular numbering.

I think I'm not understanding somehting though, as if I try this:

address@hidden thirteenth item

org doesn't seem to recognize the line as a list item.  I'm running a pretty recent org 7.8.11 from git.  I'm sure I'm just reading the manual wrong -- any hints? thanks
Matt