Re: [O] Org Build System (aka Makefile)

From: Achim Gratz
Subject: Re: [O] Org Build System (aka Makefile)
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2012 15:56:35 +0200

Bastien writes:
> Please make the default "make" procedure display all warnings that the
> user would see by compiling Emacs itself.

That isn't even possible, you'd need to use Emacs' build system (which,
btw gives inconsistent results for repeated compiles).

> I know we disagree about this: you think that compiler warnings are for
> the developers, not for the users.  I think the default "make" should
> send as much warnings as Emacs sends with its own default "make".

You continue to misunderstand what I was saying or at least trying to
say.  The primary function of Org's build system is to, well, build Org
with the minimum fuzz.  That's what it was designed to do and that is
what it does — it can do other things as well, but you'll have to
configure it to do that.

Getting more warnings is a secondary function, however useful they might
be.  Now, Emacs Lisp as a dynamic language is notoriously difficult in
the static checks department (warnings are but a small part of that) and
Emacs lacks functions to do this thoroughly in an automated manner.
There is _no_ complete tool for doing dependency checks at the source
level (I'd love to be proved wrong) for instance.  Emacs does have elint
since version 23, which is properly separated from building, but again,
is still incomplete.  I've added two compilation methods that use elint,
but they certainly aren't for casual use — the first one takes 25 times
as long as a simple build and the other one 275 times.

> If a user wants the compilation to go faster, he can always use another
> instruction (the current "make" -- renamed "make quiet"?)

And by the same argument, everybody can just as well add the line

_COMPILE_=single

to local.mk if wanted.  This gives _different_ warnings (and in general
more), but it is still no substitute for static checks and testing.  I'm
not going to degrade the build performance for everyone to save a
handful of people the bother of doing that.  If you insist, do the
change yourself (it's defined in default.mk).

Regards,
Achim.

Wavetables for the Waldorf Blofeld: